Friday 10 July 2015

PT3 & Buck's university!

I handed in my PT3 form and had a few days off before the test was scheduled so my house-mate and I went to LA for the weekend; it was fun to see the walk of fame and Hollywood sign and the city in so many movies. Sadly, didn't see any stars whilst I was there though.


PT3 is all about manoeuvres, as in PT1 you do your 3 landings again and there’s a little bit of under the hood work as well as stalls and steep turns. The test went by really quickly, I went over to Coolidge to do my touch-and-goes and was given a PFL* in the circuit, I just managed to glide it over to the runway. It felt easier than the previous PTs, maybe because I felt more confident with the plane after doing so many solos.

We also had a Buck’s university day where we were back in the classroom for lectures and were given an assignment to complete in only a few days. It was a group assignment where we needed to make two presentations about the business model and marketing strategies of a selected airline. We did New Zealand air (I love them after their Hobbit liveries). The first presentation went really well and we were given a first, the second we only got a 50 on which I was kind of disappointed with, as with any group project it’s hard to motivate everyone to pull their own weight and I think my mark would have been better had I presented on my own. There was also a written essay assignment about environmental management systems, which I got a first for. I thought this was my worst essay as I did it pretty last minute (there’s a lot going on with the flying).



One the morning of the assignment I was woken by a phone call from Lee at 6am who wanted his students in to interview for a film he was making. I knew he needed me and I’d spoken to the cameraman the week before and got to sit in the sim with him and show him a little of what we were doing here. I didn’t know Lee wanted us so early! I had to put on a tie and get ready quickly then go and stand out on the ramp as the equipment was set up. It was actually really fun to be involved in the film and I really hope Lee raises all the money he needs to.  


*PFL = Practice forced landing, the instructor would pull the throttle to idle on the engine and as I was in the downwind had to cut my circuit short and land on the runway with a simulated engine failure. When we did this in lessons out in the practice area it was all about choosing the best field for an emergency landing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment