Wednesday 17 September 2014

Week two of course Snow White and the Seven giants (the boys are all taller than me!)

Wow, what a busy week! Kind of scary how fast it's gone. We've been packed with 6 lessons a day, followed by a CBT, every day this week. It's been really tiring and you don't really have time to take it in before your next class. By the time you get home you eat something then get back to your books which is so hard to motivate yourself to do. I mean just look at this timetable:


We had quite a bit of PoF (principles of flight) this week which is a little tricky to get your head round at first and you just feel like you've been hit over the back of the head with the amount of information you're supposed to retain each day. It's not too bad when you get home and can consolidate the stuff from the textbook though so it's definitely all manageable. We finished slightly early on Friday as the instructor thought we needed a bit of a break so we went to the pub (of course), some of the best advice we've gotten is to not get too stressed and worn out during this first month. It's all about getting a good routine and getting used to how you study.

This weekend has been so so busy (probably why this blog post is so delayed). On the Friday night as per the instructor's instructions to take things easy, the course went to the pub. There are now 9 of us on 365 as we have a member who has been moved from a different course. I'm still glad it's a small number though as it means we get more attention and get along better.

On Saturday was the open day which was crazy. I went to one of these things last year and now I'm actually helping out?! I felt really proud of myself and it felt weird knowing I'd done a complete 180 in my life, or at least that's how it feels. Can't imagine how it'll feel when I actually get my CPL. On the open day (I had to be there at 8.45??) I did the meet and greet first in the morning, mostly just showing people where the toilets were or where the coffee was, then was sent up to the assessment centre to help run practice sessions of the COMPASS assessment. This was tricky as we were supposed to give verbal instruction, let them practice one or two of each test and then move on. The problem was most people wanted to stay on them and didn't want to switch so we had to be a little forceful at times. But obviously all while being super friendly and promoting Oxford. It was really nice talking to people though and I'll definitely try and do another Open day in the future. One thing that was strange is that I remember being terrified of the COMPASS during my assessment and it actually seemed kind of easy this time around on the few that I tried, could be that I've practised it and seen it all before?

I also felt like the open day would be a good way to meet people who were not on my course (you tend to stick with your own class all day, every day) and it was really lovely to mix and be super jealous of those who've come back from America.

Saturday evening I moved next door into the student house, and I'm finally getting a double bed, yay! I really enjoyed the other house and am very glad they're just over the fence if I need anything. At the moment there's just me and one other guy living here however there should be more moving in with the new course starting at the end of this week. Exciting to see who my new house mates will be (The only thing I know is that they're all boys).

On Sunday my parents came to visit. My dad has a PPL so flew down in his Cessna 152 so I had to go back to the airport yet again to great them and we went out for lunch which was really nice. Sunday evening I felt super guilty and attempted to do a little work as I'd seriously missed out that weekend. I'm still not too worried about them though.


I found a solution to my bag being so heavy! Behold the cart, best purchase I've made recently!



No comments:

Post a Comment