Monday 1 September 2014

My very first day of ground school!

So this morning I knew how to tie a Windsor knot - yay, thank you cadets! I had to re-do it a few times as the tie was a bit thick and way too long for me but the know how was definitely there.

Ground school is split into two phases leading up to the dreaded EASA exams, the first set of exams is going to be 1st December which seems really soon!! Luckily on our first day they eased us into it and started off slow with introductory sessions as part of each period where we got to know our instructors. So far they all seem great and most are ex-military which is very interesting.

Phase 1 Exams:

  • Meterology
  • Principles of Flight
  • Power plant (Propulsion)*
  • Human Performance (Yay, Psychology!)*
  • Systems*
  • Instruments*
  • Electronics
Stars are for the ones I had today. We also have allocated times on our schedules for CBTs (Computer Based training) this is just running through a video and then being tested on it. If you don't pass you need to start over and re-do that section. Today we had a short introduction to Principles of Flight on the CBT and I got 100% on my first attempt (Again, thank you Air Cadets!)

They also asked if anyone wanted to be course representative so I volunteered! You just have to take attendance and make sure the classroom's tidy really but it made me feel important :)

I came home and made some notes about the piston engine, the work isn't too tough now and we didn't have much homework as it's only the first day but I know it's only going to get more difficult. First day's are always so scary and I'm glad today turned out okay. I definitely am NOT used to being in a classroom all day though, my back started aching halfway through from being sat at a desk and I surely needed some coffee about halfway through. Oh and the books still weight a tonne, I only took four of them in today and had to lug them all home... Tomorrow's mission is to find somewhere I can buy a little trolley for my flight case.




No comments:

Post a Comment